According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 20% of people over the age of 55 experience anxiety, depression or mood disorders. But there are ways you can help boost your mental health by increasing the level of the feel-good chemical serotonin.
How Your Mind Regulates Your Mood Throughout the Day
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter involved in many natural processes throughout your body; it can help promote good sleep, regulate appetite, stimulate learning and promote positive feelings.
5 Ways to Naturally Boost Your Mood
Here are five simple ways you can naturally increase your levels of serotonin right from the comfort of your own home:
- Create a morning ritual: Having a morning routine is an easy way to set a positive tone for the day before you even get out of bed. It can be something as simple as stretching, eating a healthy breakfast and brushing your teeth.
- Boost your mood with food: By adding some of these foods into your everyday diet — bananas, berries, spinach, oats and citrus fruit — you’ll be able to naturally enhance your mood.
- Just add water: Being dehydrated can cause you to feel agitated and fatigued. It can even be life-threatening. By drinking plenty of water each day, you’re helping your body function properly and improving your digestion and immune health.
- Seek the sun: Sunlight offers a lot of benefits. Opening your blinds to allow the natural light into your environment or spending a few minutes in the sun can make a big difference in your mood. A few minutes can also help ward off seasonal depression and improve your quality of sleep.
- Get moving: Aerobic exercise can help release endorphins and other feel- good chemicals. Aim for 30 minutes of exercise 3-5 times a week.
If after trying these simple tips, you’re still struggling, seek the advice of your physician or speak with a counselor. Your mental health is too important to ignore.
Boost Your Mood at Timber Ridge
At Timber Ridge, we understand the importance of your mental health as part of our commitment to whole-person wellness. That’s why we offer opportunities for physical, emotional, spiritual, social and intellectual development, including:
- Exercise in one of our fitness classes: tai chi, yoga, cardio fusion, functional strength, core training, balance, tone and stretch, aquacise or water walking.
- Get some fresh air on our walking/hiking trails, putting green and bocce ball court.
- Explore your creative side in our arts studio or woodworking shop.
- Enjoy extensive resident gardening opportunities through our pea patch program.
- Join our resident council and other volunteer opportunities.
- Be part of our support groups: Parkinson’s, spouses with dementia, caregiver.
- Enjoy movies and opera viewings in our state-of-the-art auditorium.
- Go on cultural outings to area theaters, symphony, museums, galleries and more.
Elevate Your Lifestyle at Timber Ridge
To learn more about all the opportunities available for you at Timber Ridge, contact us here.